R. Tews Construction & Design welcomes the chance to discuss your project and truly listen to your needs
Home buyers and homeowners often find themselves in need of skilled, experienced, and professional help, whether for building or remodeling. If you’ve ever been in this position, you know it can be very challenging to know just who to hire. While there are some very basic steps you can take, like checking the Better Business Bureau and reading online feedback and testimonials, the best advice has to do with knowing what to ask, not just who.
We have some of our most recommended questions below, but as the National Association of Home Builders says, “You should feel comfortable asking a potential home builder every question that you think is important.”
You’ve heard the old adage, “There are no dumb questions,” and that truly applies here. Ask whatever you feel you need to know or to have clarified. Asking detailed questions also serves another purpose: If a builder is really interested in meeting your needs, they will take the time to answer your questions thoroughly and respectfully.
With that in mind, here are five questions everyone should ask their builder or contractor before agreeing to start a project:
- Can the home be made more efficient through upgrades or other improvements? Energy efficiency makes homes more comfortable, but it’s also one of the most cost-effective improvements you can make. R. Tews Construction & Design has partnered with the Focus on Energy program, and can build a home that is up to 100% more efficient than building codes demand. This saves you some serious money year after year, and brings in a much higher selling price down the road.
- What is your mission? This can be very informative and will give you a gut feeling as to how dedicated the contractor is to quality, satisfaction, and results. If a builder scratches their head at such a question, you may want to move on. It’s your home, and for many of us the money spent is significant. You want to feel that the builder is at least as interested in the project as you are. (Link: View R. Tews Construction & Design Mission Statement.)
- Are you from the area? Any business rises or falls on its word of mouth. A builder has made an investment in becoming known as a trusted resource, and regardless if you are from the area, a reputable builder will strive to do a top quality job.
- Is there a firm schedule? Having a start date and scheduled end date is wonderful…but what about all of the time in between? You want a contractor that outlines the entire project and gives you a clear timeline of events to let you know what to expect on a day to day basis. Let’s face it, these projects can be disruptive to family life. Once you start, you want to feel there is steady progress to the finish line.
- What kind of communication can I expect? A key to choosing the ideal candidate is to make sure that they are communicative and easy to deal with. We’ve all heard stories about the disappearing crew or the person who never seems to pick up the phone. Avoid these hassles by asking the builder to explain their communication policy in advance.
Asking the right questions—and getting the right answers—is key to a positive relationship and your best insurance for a satisfactory end result. With our mission to “Do it right the first time,” R. Tews Construction & Design welcomes the chance to discuss your project and truly listen to your needs. It’s one of the reasons our reputation has steadily grown as Eau Claire’s preferred builders and remodelers, for more than 20 years!